could your injuries be covered under personal injury law?could your injuries be covered under personal injury law?

About Me

could your injuries be covered under personal injury law?

Have you or someone that you love been injured by someone else? Injuries that are sustained due to someone's neglect could provide you with the means to file a personal injury lawsuit. There are so many types of personal injury lawsuits that it is quite possible that your injuries could allow you to file suit. On my site, you will find a long list of personal injury lawsuits that have been filed and won over the years. Knowing what is considered to fall under personal injury law could help you decide what course of action to take and could potentially help you cover the cost of the medical treatment needed because of the injury.

Latest Posts

Tips for Navigating the Workers' Compensation Claims Process
15 August 2023

Suffering a work-related injury can be a distressi

Determining Fault In A Car Accident
26 June 2023

In some cases, it's easy to determine who's at fau

Motorcycle Accident Lawyer — Good Reasons To Hire One Today
8 May 2023

Motorcycles are fun vehicles to own and drive, but

3 Reasons To Contact A Personal Injury Attorney After An Accident
23 March 2023

If you have recently been hurt in a slip and fall

Who Should Pay Rental Car Fees If You Hire One After A Vehicle Crash? Find Out
6 February 2023

Some vehicle crashes only cause minimal damage tha

Determining Fault In A Car Accident

In some cases, it's easy to determine who's at fault after a car accident. However, not all incidents are clear. If you disagree with who is at fault after an accident, you have options. However, you don't want to proceed if you don't have a case. Learn more about determining fault in a car accident. 

Determining Fault

Insurance adjusters determine who is at fault after an accident. In fault states, the insurance company of the guilty party will pay for repairs. Some instances aren't clear regarding fault. In these cases, the insurance companies will delegate fault in percentages. For example, the insurance companies may find one party to be 75% at fault, while the other party is 25% at fault. Payouts will be adjusted accordingly in states that follow comparative negligence laws. In most states. one party must be found at least 51% at fault in order to be found responsible for damages. This is known as modified comparative negligence. In the six contributory negligence states, if one party is found in any way to be responsible for the accident, even 5%, they can't ask for damages from the other party.

Proving Fault 

If you disagree with the insurance company's assessment of the situation, you'll have to prove your case with evidence. Without solid evidence, you won't be able to change the court's mind about the decision. 

Some examples of evidence you can use to prove your case include video/photo evidence, witness statements, police reports, written communications, and expert opinions. Your auto accident attorney can examine your evidence to assess the likelihood of winning your case. You will have the option to negotiate. If you don't agree to the negotiations, you may have to take the case to court.

No-Fault States

16 states follow no-fault laws. In these states, each party's insurance company will pay for their damages regardless of fault. In these states, it's required for drivers to carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) to cover any medical expenses that incur after an accident. If someone failed to have this coverage, they will be responsible for the expenses. If PIP did not cover the full cost of the damages, the injured party can sue the at-fault party in civil court.

Did you recently get into an accident? Whether you want to prove your innocence or obtain compensation for your damages, you should talk to a car accident attorney to go over your case with you.